Earthbnb, from Platform to Planet
How the Interface Transforms Private and Public Space
Abstract: This short (5.43 min) online video and accompanying research materials (an online collaborative board) situate DoriO’s research into the platform-capitalism apparatus of Airbnb. Through a digital collage of screen captures and 3D photogrammetry, the work experiments with the aesthetics of Airbnb, inserting text-based interventions and spoken word into the interface that foreground the ‘fails n errors’ that the online marketplace propagates. Within this context, concerns about infrastructure are brought to the fore and questions populate the search bars of the website. DoriO began working on ‘Earthbnb’ during the Covid-19 pandemic. Confined during lockdown, the group each scanned their rooms using a 3D application and joined these together to form an online home of sorts. The film and accompanying materials share the process of conducting collaborative practice-based research during the pandemic.
Keywords: Platform capitalism takeover, gentrification, neoliberal digitalisation, critical poetics, inhuman modernity
Click on the image to play the video
Suggested reading list:
- Bosma, Jelke R., and Niels van Doorn, ‘The Gentrification of Airbnb: Closing Rent Gaps Through the Professionalization of Hosting.’ Space and Culture. May (2022). https://doi.org/10.1177/12063312221090606.
- Easterling, Keller, Extrastatecraft: The Power of Infrastructure. London: Verso, 2016.
- Gravari-Barbas, Maria, and Sandra Guinand (eds), Tourism and Gentrification in Contemporary Metropolises. London: Routledge, 2017.
- Hoffman, Lily M., and Barbara Schmitter Heisler, Airbnb, Short-Term Rentals and the Future of Housing. London: Routledge, 2020.
- Lindner, Christoph, and Gerard Sandoval (eds), Aesthetics of Gentrification: Seductive Spaces and Exclusive Communities in the Neoliberal City. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2021.