Trifecta … the visceral, the virtual and the vulnerable
Video of event with velvet leigh and Jules Sturm
ArtEZ Studium Generale and platform for contemporary art P–OST organized an evening on 13 April 2022 with writer and performer velvet leigh (ArtEZ DAI Art Praxis), and theorist and educator Jules Sturm (Zurich University of the Arts). It was an evening of performance and conversation, addressing themes of vulnerability, body, temporality and the chronic.
A trifecta is a group or series of three; a triad. It is also a type of bet, in which a wager is made on a particular outcome. It involves risk, endurance and placing one’s ‘fate’, as it were, into the future unknown. What happens when the physiological functioning of a body slides into deterioration or breakdown? How does the experience of being in a body that is unreliable create temporal rifts and elisions, where the chronic becomes not only a stretching, or expanding, of time, but also of perception, of interoception: the sensations and experiences from inside the body. The performance of trifecta, by velvet leigh, proposes to take us along for a deep and vulnerable dive.
You can find all articles in the Body and Power(lessness) dossier below:
- “Art is a training ground for empathy”: In conversation with Olivia Laing
- One year ‘Body and Power(lessness)
- ‘Ik wil een constant orgasme in een prachtig lichaam’, by Dagmar Bosma (NL)
- ‘Lichaam’: Een gesprek met Dagmar Bosma
- ‘Vulnerable Looking’, by Jules Sturm
- ‘Trifecta … the visceral, the virtual and the vulnerable’, Video of event with velvet leigh and Jules Sturm
- ‘Een lichaam dat niet wordt bewoond’, by Maurits de Bruijn (NL)
- ‘Traumasporen in het lichaam’, Video of online event with Francine Oomen and Maurits de Bruin (NL)
- ‘Erotiek is een levenskracht en seksualiteit is daar soms onderdeel van’: In conversation with curator Ine Gevers (NL)